This past week was strenuous on the Mammal Group. We started collecting data for our research but ran into some hiccups along the way. Luckily, our problem-solving skills came in handy. There were also a few communication errors between my partner and I in the beginning, but we’ve solved that as well. The data we began collecting includes pitfall traps (see below), funnel traps, camera traps, and audio recorders. The camera traps were placed out for 5 days for a series of 3 cycles. The first cycle ending June 23, 2019. The data will be viewed and placed out again for the 2nd cycle.
We only had 3 pitfall traps setout in each habitat (forest edge, forest interior, and water edge). We found that the forest interior attracted more insects than the other two sites. Most of the insects we collected were spiders. Which could mean that spiders make up a predominant percentage of insects at Martell and PWA. The water edge site is a bit of an issue because there’s an animal that has been messing with the traps. This might prevent an accurate deduction of species of insects near the water edge. Funnel traps were also set up using diluted pine sol as a lure, there have been minimal results on that so far. Overall, this past week we exerted a lot of energy walking so many acres to check traps and collect data. We also began conducting our vegetation surveys as well, so that can be tedious as well. Hopefully next week we can cover more ground and complete what we can
Slipping on wet slope
The sun beaming on my face
Bees hum and birds sing
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!